Recently a relatively new member of our tango community was asking me about the cabeceo and tango etiquette. As we chatted, he commented on the strong similarities between good manners relating to conversation and tango.
This got me thinking, and I decided to design a little quiz. Here goes:
Before trying to engage a person in conversation, do you ...
- look at them first to see if they might be interested in engaging with you?
- tap them on the shoulder and expect them to want to talk to you?
- interrupt that conversation and take over?
- wait until that person is 'free' & looks interested in talking to you?
- do you really listen to them?
- are you planning what you want to say next, while they are still speaking?
- talk at length, without allowing them opportunity to engage in the conversation?
- express an idea, listen to their response, and then respond to that?
Does it sound like tango to you, too? Perhaps you might think of something to add to the quiz.